The Marbella Golden Mile is one of the most sought after areas on the Costa del Sol. It starts at the western edge of Marbella, at the copper tower, and stretches for around 5 kilometres to the Rio Verde river, and the start of Puerto Banus. It was dubbed the Golden Mile in the 1980s, when the area grew in popularity and the properties there became so desirable that they were “golden”.
Why is the Golden Mile such a popular area?
Our buyers love the convenience of being able to easily reach both Marbella and Puerto Banus by foot or by car, while maintaining a more tranquil feel and easier parking.The beaches are lovely, and less crowded than the central Marbella or Banus beaches, so you have plenty of space to stretch out, even in the peak summer months of July and August. The coastal road which connects Marbella and Puerto Banus has everything that you need to live here all year round, or enjoy an amazing holiday. You’ll find supermarkets, petrol stations, banks, chemists, schools, a business centre and great shops, all within walking distance of your front door if you buy a property on the Golden Mile. This convenience and easy access to the beach and town is hard to beat.
What properties can you find on the Golden Mile?
The Golden Mile has an excellent range of properties for sale, from townhouses and apartments, to luxury villas. The villas on the Golden Mile are a good option, as they tend to be extremely private, with great pools and gardens, yet still within easy reach of all the action. These villas range in style, size and price and we have a great selection to suit your needs.
A wonderful example is villa La Carolina, an incredible 7 bedroom villa on a plot of nearly 3,500m2. This is a hidden gem tucked away in the centre of the Golden Mile. The views, luxurious living space, privacy and location must be seen to be believed!
For buyers looking for contemporary luxury, we’d recommend looking at new developments such as Las Lomas de Marbella Club. This will comprise of 8 luxury villas within lush subtropical gardens, in a fantastic location. These off-plan villas offer perfect modern, open plan living, in a secure and exclusive environment and will be very popular with buyers who love the Golden Mile location.
Where to go and what to do on the Golden Mile?
You’re spoilt for choice when you live on the Golden Mile, with the amazing shops, restaurants and bars of Marbella and Puerto Banus within easy reach. However, you don’t even need to stray that far, as there are some great options actually on the Golden Mile itself. Here are our top picks –
1. Pan y Mermelada – Situated right by Urbanization Marbella Real and the Marbella Living offices is Pan y Mermelada, a large and comfortable café which offers great coffee and cakes, as well as excellent breakfasts and light meals. Thanks to the success of Pan y Mermelada a number of cafes and delis have sprung up along this stretch, so it’s a nice place to go. Please pop in and see us if you’re there for a coffee.
2. Da Bruno – This Italian restaurant is a great place to enjoy delicious pasta and pizza with excellent service.
3. Organic Food & Market – Right opposite the Marbella Club Hotel is a favourite place for people looking to be healthy, those with allergies, vegans or vegetarians. Organic is a café which is open for breakfast, lunch and coffees throughout the day. It is family friendly and has a delicious menu of cakes, sandwiches and healthy meals.
4. Marbella Club – Within the iconic Marbella Club you can dine in the busy MC Café, sip champagne in the stunning Champagne Room, eat amazing cuts of meats at The Grill (make sure you leave room for the soufflé), feast on their incredible buffet at the beach club, or pop down to their elegant beach restaurant MC Beach. You can also book in for treatments at their Thalasso spa for some pampering. This Marbella institution is still up there with some of the best places in town and just a few minutes’ walk away from most Golden Mile properties.
5. Venta Los Pacos – This place is a firm favourite for those in search of a Menu del Día (set lunch menu) which is filling, traditional and amazing value for money. This is an authentic Spanish experience, which is very popular and busy for lunch. If you can’t get in here, there’s its sister restaurant just behind which offers the same hearty fare.
6. Plaza Village at the Puente Romano – Over the last few years, the Puente Romano Hotel has become a real hotspot for dining, drinks and dancing until late. There are a wonderful array of fabulous restaurants and bars, serving a wide range of cuisines in a spectacular setting. Favourites include Thai Gallery, Serafina for Italian and Celicioso for gluten free delights. Recent arrival Nobu is causing waves with their incredible Japanese Peruvian fusion cuisine. Michelin star chef Dani Garcia also has two great restaurants here. There’s one modern Andalusian bistro, and an incredible fine dining restaurant with an impressive two Michelin stars and a stellar reputation. Within the Plaza, there is a summer bar for drinks under the stars and also a nightclub where you can dance ‘til dawn. Puente Romano also boasts the Sea Grill down by the beach, which has a luxury lunch buffet that takes some beating.
7. Trocadero – Right on the sand is the refined chiringuito (beach restaurant) Trocadero, a wonderful place to enjoy lunch and dinner in the summer. The luxurious surroundings, delicious food and loyal client base, make this the place to be in the summer on the beachside of the Golden Mile.
If the Golden Mile sounds like your dream location please contact us. Our experienced real estate agents have all lived here for years and know the area like the back of our hand. We like the Golden Mile so much, that we’ve chosen it as the base for our office, so we can share our insider knowledge with you and find you the perfect property. Browse our selection of Golden Mile villas or contact us with your requirements and let us search for you.